three of my four kids have celebrated in the past few months. on that day, we try to make it special.
a fun dinner.
we want them to know that we love them, that they are worth celebrating, that they are special to us.
our Compassion child is celebrating his birthday in a few weeks. and we hope to make his day special as well.
we’ll write him a birthday message.
we’ll send a little extra so he can receive a special gift.
and we’ll let him know that he is special to us.
and special to God.
you can make a difference in the life of a child. If you’re not already, visit the Compassion site and sponsor a child today. You won’t regret it.
In these last days leading up to Christmas, take a moment to watch this powerful modern-day retelling of the Nativity story. Great stuff.
There are a lot of opportunities out there to help others during the Christmas season. But if you’re looking for some unique opportunities, check out these organizations & opportunities…
- Coal for Christmas – a local ministry here in our area, In His Hands Orphans Outreach is partnering with a local radio station to provide coal to heat orphanages. A gift of $15 provides coal to warm an orphanage of 100 children in China for an hour.
- Eat Art – Eat Art is a collection of photographers, painters and designers committed to artfully ending hunger. Purchasing one 5″x7″ image feeds one child for a month. Check out the amazing artwork and apparel that all make great gifts for your friends and family.
- Project 7 – Project 7 offers a variety of goods that make great stocking stuffers. For every purchase of a Project 7 product, some good is done in seven areas of need – Feed the Hungry, Heal the Sick, Hope for Peace, House the Homeless, Quench the Thirsty, Teach them Well and Save the Earth.
- Bloodwater Mission – Build a solid foundation in Africa by gifting a bag of cement. Bloodwater Mission helps provide clean water to communities in sub-Saharan Africa. A $25 bag of cement is the main component for most of their projects. Their goal is 4800 bags of cement by Christmas.
- Gifts of Compassion – Give a goat or a mosquito net or building materials this Christmas. Your gift to Compassion International will help provide clean drinking water, medical treatment, disaster relief, food supplies and much more for Compassion-assisted children and their families.
Is there an organization that you are supporting this Christmas season? Share a link below in the comments.
I like stuff. I’m always reading about the latest gadgets, technology, music, books and lots of other random things. Often I tell Lynda about the latest thing out there…she politely shows some interest, but I know she doesn’t share my excitement.
Most of these things I never get to buy…mainly because I’m not made of money and I’ve got 4 kids!
Others I’m able to buy over time and use regularly. And I love sharing my new finds with my friends.
So last month I began a new blog called A Few Things I Like. It’s a collection of the things I’m using as well as the things I’m reading about that interest me. And you’re my friends…so I’m sharing it with you.
Take a peek. Bookmark it. And please share with the nerdy people like me you have in your life.
And who knows, you may find a great Christmas gift for someone special on your list!
another thanksgiving. and I have so many things to be thankful for. some are big, some are small, most are random! so here’s a list of some of the things that cause me to give thanks this year…in no particular order of course.
- date nights
- paying-off a vehicle
- Converse All-Stars
- summer vacations
- Chipotle burrito bowls
- old friendships
- Sharpie Ultra-Fine Tip markers
- finishing a book
- Disneyworld resort
- pellet ice
- Christmas music
- getting the Christmas decorations out with the kids
- the iPhone
- the iPad
- the Apple Store
- dinner alone with Lynda
- good graphic design
- Sonic’s 1/2 price drinks happy hour
- big cities
- singing harmony
- God’s grace
- the beach
- Sixlets candy
- did I mention nights out with my wife?!
- flying, rather than driving
- 4 kids that make me laugh…most of the time!
- dinner out with good friends and lots of laughter
- Jimmy John’s subs
- a long soak in the hot tub under the stars
- dancing with my kids
- laughing out loud at stupid tv shows
- snow days
- my gracious wife
What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?
a while back I created an about.me landing page. it’s the one stop place to connect people to my facebook, twitter, instagram, blogs and Front Porch Creative. it was super easy to set up and customize to my tastes.
check it out at about.me/mattbortmess
and while you’re there, sign up and set up your own page. and then comment with your page so I can check it out!
*disclosure: i’m a BzzAgent. while this is an about.me campaign that I’m participating thru BzzAgent, I had my page long before I joined the campaign.
Now this is just cool. Who knew you could make a camera out of Legos?
Colin’s going to want this for Christmas.
Found at design-milk.com
- It’s diabetes awareness month. Today and each Friday this month I’m wearing blue for diabetes. “Real men wear blue.” Doesn’t have the same ring to it…
- Have you signed the Artificial Pancreas petition to help those living with diabetes yet?
- I’m shedding some extra pounds via Weight Watchers. Am now down 8 pounds!
- Started a couch to 5k training to help with the weight loss…and to get back in the routine of running. Enjoying it.
- I may not stop at the 5K. May take it further. Anyone want to join me?
- My Amazon wish list keeps growing with all the good music that’s come out recently. Christmas is coming, hint, hint!
- Have you checked out GILT yet? Use my link to get access.
- November is the month of not-full-school-weeks for my kids. It’s crazy how many days off they have in November.
- Is it really November already? Let the Christmas music begin at the mall!
- Launched a new site this week. A collection of things I like. Check it out and spread the word.
That’s what’s on my mind this Friday. What’s on yours?
just a few things on my mind from this past week…
- received this amazing piece in the mail this week about Joplin MO. Great job OCC!
- Colin was at church camp this week. Tuesday had a heat index of 109°. He had a great time despite the heat. Much better at it than I am!
- did I mention that Lynda went to camp also? Was staff, teaching, leading a family group and dorm mom. Also to help Colin manage his diabetes — first time at camp post diagnosis.
- ordered the BookBook for my iPhone… I can already tell I’m going to love it.
- listening to the new Mat Kearney album. I love his stuff.
- been thinking about how i’m going to set up my home office. learned of these egg crates from Sam. may need some.
- recently got my first iPad (i’m usually a much earlier adopter than this!). got my basic apps loaded. what else do I need?
what’s on your mind this Friday?